Technology

The demo ship Argonon is equipped with a caterpillar engine, adjusted to dual fuel. The required LNG is stored in a large cryogenic tank on deck, to prevent the freezing cold liquefied natural gas from heating up and vaporizing. In order to remain liquefied under atmospheric pressure, LNG has to be at least 162 degrees below Celsius, but since the LNG is kept under a pressure rate of three bar in the tank of The Argonon, the temperature can be a little higher: 152 to 155 degrees below zero suffices.

In addition to the engine and the tank, a system is required to vaporize the extremely cold LNG and to make sure it enters the engines at the right temperature. This system uses the heated cooling water of the engine.

Bekijk de LNG video

Bekijk de Motor video

Caterpillar

The demonstration ship Argonon is built with a Caterpillar 3512DF engine of Pon Power.

Cryogenic technology

Natural gas, the same gas many people use in their homes to prepare food, becomes liquid at a temperature of -162 degrees Celsius.

Bunkering

LNG currently isn’t available on a large scale in the Netherlands, which is why tankers will be used to supply it. DeenShipping assumes that, when the stronger emission requirements take effect in 2016, more barges will begin sailing on dual fuel and that the supply of LNG will be performed through stations along the Rhine. To resolve this issue, DeenShipping is consulting with various LNG suppliers ‘Havenbedrijf Rotterdam’ in order to increase the availability of refueling locations.

Gas train

Provides for the injection of 80% natural gas. The other 20% diesel is injected through the usual method. Due to this ratio, the nature of a diesel engine remains intact.

“ This results in a significantly lower emission of CO2 and NOx

and reduces the emission of particulates to zero! ”